Thursday, June 04, 2009

Same Route, Different Run

This time, when I set out to run the dirt road near the blackhawk heliport, I made sure I started early. Last time, hot temps quickly deteriorated my run. It was slightly rainy and kept temps down today. Not knowing if it had rained all night, I thought the road might be too soggy to run but I keep forgetting the sandy soil drains quickly here. Awesome. Another thing that worked out well was to bring these tiny gatorade bottles and hand carry powerade zero (calorie and corn syurp free). I drank about half during the run. Fab.
The entire run felt different this time. I set out happy and motivated. I thought of old races and new ones for most of the way. The road just slipped underneath me quickly and effortlessly (almost). Wow.
I stopped half way because the road ends and intersects with the airport. Sipping my powerade I watched new pilots trying to balance airframes the size of buses in the air. As they hovered, I'd hold my breath and watch them tip and totter back and forth. The tail dipping lowly. Most were probably getting a good tongue lashing from a Gunnery Sergeant Hartman look-alike:
If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training, you will be a weapon. You will be a minister of death praying for war. But until that day you are pukes. You are the lowest form of life on Earth. You are not even human, fucking beings. You are nothing but unorganized grabastic pieces of amphibian shit. Because I am hard you will not like me. But the more you hate me the more you will learn. I am hard but I am fair.
*sigh* Poor bastards.
I turned around and set off again. This time, I didn't walk much until the last third of a mile or so. In fact, it was weird, I was thinking so much that I'd all of a sudden realize I was walking. So I would start running again, until soon, I would again be walking!? Crazy. Losin my mind.
Tomorrow I need to set up for a long run again. Last week was 6.3 miles. I could do that or push it to 8. I've been thinking all week about a slice of road that would equal four miles so I could just go out-and-back. I don't know any long stretches of road so I might have to wing it and drive it in my car real quick before running it. I do know of a VERY looooong hill on a road that would equal 1 mile, 2 there and back. I could run that four times and have access to my gatorade & car for refreshing. Loving the idea of refreshment, hating the idea of upping milage and attempting to mix in a new, large hill. The rule in running is to never up milage/speed/terrain at the same time. Do one new challenge in a week (either up milage, or add speedwork or add hill training, etc) and dedicate a run to it.
I'm a rule follower pretty much in life and in running. Not because I'm so good, but actually because I'm one of those people more likely to get screwed if I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment